You are eligible to claim compensation from the airline in question if your flight was cancelled, which means the flight that you held a valid ticket for did not leave the airport. Even if you were allocated a different flight at a different time or day, you are still eligible to claim compensation if the original flight was cancelled. In other words, if one of your scheduled flights was cancelled, you can make a claim.
Flight Cancellation Compensation
The amount of available compensation for your cancelled flight depends on the distance of your flight (in kilometres) and whether your flight was scheduled to land in the EU or not. We have listed the compensation amounts and the appropriate criteria below:
It is important to note, that the eligibility to claim compensation on a cancelled flight will depend on how long prior to the scheduled departure time you were told by the airline that the original flight was cancelled.
If the airline informs you with more than 14 days notice, you will not be eligible to claim any compensation.
Flight Cancelled 7-14 Days Prior
If you have been notified of a cancellation between 1 and 2 weeks from the scheduled departure time, you may be eligible to compensation if:
- The Scheduled departure time is more than 2 hours earlier causing you to miss some of the last day of your holiday before returning, or require you to fly earlier causing inconvenience.
- The scheduled arrival time is more than 4 hours later meaning you arrive at your destination later than originally intended.
Flight Cancelled With Less Than 7 Days Notice
If you have been notified of a cancellation with less than 1 week notice prior to the scheduled flight, you may be eligible to claim if:
- The scheduled departure time is more than 1 hour earlier, so if your flight was scheduled to leave at 10:00 and it instead left at 08:30 you can make a claim.
- The scheduled arrival time is more than 2 hours later, for example your original arrival time at the destination was 18:00 and instead you landed at 20:01 or later.
How Much Can I Claim?
- £210* / €250 for flights of 1,500km or less within the EU.
- £210* / €250 for flights of 1,500km or less between an EU and non-EU airport.
- £340* / €400 for flights exceeding 1,500km within the EU.
- £340* / €400 for flights between 1,500km and 3,500km between an EU and non-EU airport.
- £510* / €600 for flights exceeding 3,500km between an EU and non-EU airport.